Troy Smalley has more than 20 years of engineering experience; including the design of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems; plumbing systems; fire protection systems; and building commissioning. He has designed engineered systems for universities, high schools, houses of worship, hospitals, clinics, research laboratories, and condominiums. He has worked with mechanical systems ranging in size from residential furnaces and condensing units to steam boilers, chillers and cooling towers in central plants.
As a Commissioning Authority, Troy implemented commissioning best practices and essential attributes as prescribed by the Building Commissioning Association (BCxA) and ASHRAE Guideline 0. He acted as an advocate for the building owner to ensure quality was incorporated into the project from its inception. During the pre-design phase he helped clients develop and document their building performance requirements, the standard by which the finished product would be judged. As a LEED® Accredited Professional Troy helped clients incorporate goals for energy efficiency and minimal environmental impact into the design. During the design phase he reviewed the engineering basis of design, drawings, submittals, and sequences of operation. He developed equipment Installation Checklists to aid the contractors in installing the approved equipment properly. Throughout the construction phase, he performed site inspections to ensure the equipment was installed per the checklists and document any issues that arose. Troy developed Functional Performance Tests for each major system; including air handlers, boilers, chillers, exhaust fans, building controls, lighting controls, and security equipment; and then supervised their execution. He ensured the contractors and designers resolved all documented issues before the building was turned over to the owner. He facilitated the transition to the occupancy and operation phase by supervising the training of the facility operators and assembling the Operations and Maintenance Manuals for the installed equipment.
Building Commissioning Projects
- University of Utah Carolyn Tanner Irish Humanities Building, Salt Lake City, UT
- University of Utah Meldrum Civil Engineering Building Addition, Salt Lake City, UT
- University of Utah John E. and Marva M. Warnock Engineering Building, Salt Lake City, UT
- University of Utah David M. Grant Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Center, Salt Lake City, UT
- Utah State University Wetland Discovery Point, Kaysville, UT
- Dixie State College Health Sciences Building, St. George, UT
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Church History Library, Salt Lake City, UT
- Pearson Education Tenant Improvement, Sandy, UT
Military and Government
- Software Support Facility (Addition to Building 1515), Hill Air Force Base, UT
- Data Center Building Chiller Upgrade, Hill Air Force Base, UT
- Operations Squadron Building, Hill Air Force Base, UT
- Utah Air National Guard Fire Department Building, Salt Lake City, UT
- Dugway Proving Grounds Baker Laboratory Renovation, Dugway, UT
- Multi-Agency Office Building, Department of Environmental Quality, Salt Lake City, UT
- George E. Wahlen Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Salt Lake City, UT
- Holladay Lions Recreation Center, Holladay, UT
- Copperview Community Center, Midvale, UT
- Redwood Multipurpose Center, West Valley City, UT
- Kearns Recreation Center, Kearns, UT
- Tooele Community Learning Center, Tooele, UT
- Sorenson Multi-Cultural Center, Salt Lake City, UT
- City of Tempe East Valley Bus Operations and Maintenance Facility, Tempe, AZ
- Quality Bicycle Products Distribution Center, Ogden, UT
- Quartzdyne Manufacturing Facility Warehouses, West Valley City, UT
- IM Flash Manufacturing Facility, Lehi, UT
- NuSkin Corporate Headquarters, Provo, UT
- Rio Tinto Distribution Center, South Jordan, UT
- American Institute of Architects Tenant Improvement, Salt Lake City, UT
Mechanical Design Projects
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints East High School Seminary Building, Salt Lake City, UT: Retrofit of HVAC system.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Heritage 98 Meetinghouse, Standard Plan: Designed mechanical systems for standard plan to be used nationwide.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 2-40 Temple, Standard Plan: Designed mechanical systems for standard plan to be used nationwide.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Albuquerque Temple, Albuquerque, NM: Designed variable-air-volume air distribution system and fire protection system.
- Kearns High School, Kearns, UT: Retrofit of steam piping system.
- Huntsman Cancer Institute, Phase II, Salt Lake City, UT: Designed air distribution system.
- Questar Gas Corporate Headquarters, Salt Lake City, UT: Performed study for use of cooling towers in economizer role.
- Utah State University Performing Arts Center, Logan, UT: Designed air distribution system.
- Rocky Mountain Diabetes Center, Idaho Falls, ID: Designed heating, ventilation and air conditioning and plumbing systems.
- Primary Children’s Medical Center, Riverton, UT: Designed mechanical piping in the campus tunnel distribution system.
Education and Licensing
- Masters of Science, Mechanical Engineering, University of Utah, 2011
- Masters of Business Administration, University of Utah, 2011
- Bachelors of Science, Brigham Young University, 1997
- Licensed Professional Engineer – California, Florida, Idaho, Louisiana, Oregon, Texas, Utah
- Building Commissioning Association (BCxA) - Member
- American Society of Heating, Refrigeration & Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) - Member
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) - Member Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) - Member